Thursday, March 17, 2011

Website Ready, Now to Change Focus...

The website that I have spent two months working on is officially launched on Monday and I am pretty happy with the traffic so far and general response.  I have posts scheduled for the rest of the month, so there is little to do but moderate comments and do a bit of work for next month's posts.

This means that beginning next week, I will have the time to focus on another project and I have to admit that I am procrastinating when it comes to finishing my book and putting it into e-book format.  I have examined my reluctance and there are three things that I think are holding me back.

1.  There are a few things that need to be done that are outside my comfort zone and experience.  These include things such as obtaining permissions necessary to proceed.  There is a reference to another book in my book and as a courtesy to that author, I would like to ask for her permission to reference her book.  There are partial song lyrics, which are critical to one part of the story, but mean that I need to buy the rights to use them.  I have tried before and because they are from another country, ran into some snags and am nervous for the work it will entail.  I am also nervous for what the cost will be - yikes!

2.  I have to admit to being resistant about the whole e-book idea.  If I had a publisher offering to publish an actual book, I could easily finish and edit the book in a weekend because I would be excited and would want to see my writing in print, but an e-book doesn't excited me.  I like the feel of an actual book in my hands, so I don't have a Kindle or other e-reader, though my husband does, so seeing my words on one of those leaves me less than enthused!

3.  I am scared of failure.  What if I get it in e-book format and nobody buys it?  Worse than that, what if a few people buy it and don't like it?  If I don't finish it, I won't have to face these possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment